Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veterans' Day

We had a special event today at work, to honor Veterans' Day.  Usually all the stops come out for veterans here, and this was no exception.

We had Marcus Luttrell, the author of Lone Survivor and the only survivor of Operation Redwing in Afghanistan, to tell his story.

Words do not do this story justice.  It's one thing to read the Wikipedia article, it's another to hear him tell of his BUD/S experiences, and his promise to his friends to keep their memories alive.  I think he's done an incredible job of that.  I'll read the book and post a mini-review here.

In line afterwards, waiting to get our books signed, I struck up a conversation with my previous director.  I knew he'd been in the Air Force, and that he'd flown on B-52's.  That was 20 years ago.  I joked with him that his plane was probably still flying.  Turns out the guy three further back in line had worked on the same B-52 as a mechanic (tail number 277) in 1975.  That airframe has certainly served this country well.

To all veterans:  Those of us who have never served will never fully understand the sacrifices you have made on our behalf - the things you've done, and seen.  I thank you all, from the bottom of my heart, for all the things I know and all of them that I don't.  Thank you for your service and your dedication.

No comments:

Post a Comment