Thursday, November 19, 2009

Ice Cream!

I had plain old ice cream today.  Ah, the things you learn to appreciate...

Interesting trivia - plain chocolate ice cream (Yarnell's, at least) is the lowest carb available of the major flavors I've seen, at 16g/half cup.  Homemade vanilla was highest at 20g/half cup.  Cookies and cream was 19g/half cup.

Sugars have been in pretty good control these last couple days.  I'm getting more aggressive about taking insulin when I'm high.  Gotta keep those numbers down...

4 comments:

  1. Martin, Yarnell's also produces Guilt Free Ice Cream - this is designed for someone who is diabetic or cannot have high amounts of sugar. Please visit www.yarnells.com for more information, you can also follow Yarnell's on twitter @ www.twitter.com/yarnells and they are also on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could try sherbet (sorbet) as a substitute for ice cream some times. My son's a type 1 diabetic & we do that for him. We don't usually buy anything sugar-free because all the additives seem to bother everyone's stomachs.

    Good work keeping your #s down! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I've checked, and most sherbets have more carbs/serving that regular ice cream does (though they lack the fat, and that's good). That's not ideal, but it's not exactly a disaster, either.

    I think I need to do a post on sugar alcohol/polyols...I've been doing some reading about them.

    ReplyDelete