Friday, November 27, 2009

The Importance of Averages

There are a number of things I've always enjoyed about Thanksgiving, and now that I've got one in the rear-view mirror (so to speak) I can rest a little easier.

Two of my favorite things about thanksgiving dinner have always been stuffing and potatoes.  I did well with those; I think I've gotten pretty good at counting carbs effectively.  That's surprised me a bit because I've never been good at estimating distance or volume.  Well, now I have to be. :)

It was the cheesecake that spiked me.  Make no mistake, my wife makes the best cheesecake *EVER*.  This time, she made one with cherry topping, and really thick (from scratch!) graham cracker crust.  I love the crust.  I love it a lot.  The crust from scratch is especially good, since she makes it with real butter.

I guessed 64 and bolused 8, but I undershot.  (I told you the crust was good.)  I was on a bit of a rollercoaster for the rest of the night - I had tested 99 before the cheesecake, but tested 175, 146, and 192 that night, and finally 149 before I went to sleep.  Not ideal, but in retrospect I worried about it more than I should have, and that probably helped to keep me up.  I wound up putting in a lot of corrective, and I'm well within normal limits now.

If I had run the averages, I probably would have been a little less worried.

The other big thing was that I worked the program I was taught, and it worked for me, though a bit more slowly than I had hoped.

Though it does seem that the higher I go, the more insulin resistant I get.  I'd love to hear if anyone else has similar experiences that way, or if I'm looking at it incorrectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment