Sunday, November 15, 2009

Small Victories: Pizza

Pizza is a tricky food for diabetics to eat.  It has two key attributes that make it tricky for those of us who have to worry about our blood sugar levels:

1)  High carb count due to crust and pizza sauce
2)  High fat content, which can delay digestion of the carbs

The first one means we have to push a lot of insulin to process pizza, the second means that if you push it too early, you could go low.  But I like my pizza, so it's a problem worth solving for me.  Plus, who wants to let a little thing like diabetes get in the way of enjoying one of life's more enjoyable foods?

I learned a neat trick from my CDE for dealing with pizza - push the insulin *after* eating the pizza instead of before it.  That gives your system a little margin, since your sugar will go up a little as the carbs process, which will give the insulin something to work on and hopefully won't take you low in the meantime.

This worked for me today:  Two slices of green pepper/onion/black olive/pepperoni hand-tossed pizza.  Estimated 88g carbs, blood sugar prior: 93, 2 hours later: 124.  Huzzah!

No comments:

Post a Comment