Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Beginnings of Normalcy

Today was remarkable for its lack of anything new or remarkable.

I woke up 172, and took a little extra insulin with my banana oat muffin.  (Yes, I've opened my mind to bananas.  It's amazing what happens when you're a little open-minded.)

Figured I was headed low in the morning, tested, and got an 87.  Three lifesavers later, I'm losing that woozy feeling.  Not four, cause that would take me up more than I need to go.

A week or two weeks ago, either of those events would have been...well, exciting, at least.  Now...not so much.

I'm starting to feel normal again, and it's a good feeling.  A very good feeling.  It reminds me a lot of learning to drive - at first, the whole experience was completely new and different, despite having ridden in cars for 18 years (I was a late bloomer for my first license, I know), all the lights, and signs, and road markings and a new and different appearance to me.  I worried a lot about stuff like when to signal turns, and how fast to try to take them.  And over time, I became less and less aware of those things and they became automatic.

I'm still very aware of my diabetes management efforts, but the results are getting more predictable, and edge of newness is wearing off.  That's part of the feeling of normalcy too, and I welcome it.  That's not at all the same thing as slacking off or not testing.

No comments:

Post a Comment