Monday, December 14, 2009

What a day...

Today was quite a rollercoaster for me.  Normally, I like rollercoasters.  This one wasn't nearly as much fun.

I woke up 98 this morning.  I was stoked.  Maybe it's Monday, but it's gonna go well...

My next conscious act this morning by misjudging an apple-cinnamon muffin.  I need more insulin in the mornings, and figured the muffin for about 40 grams.  When I tested two hours later, I was 225.  Oops.

So I took a slightly aggressive corrective, 5 units.  Should have taken me to 80-90.  Instead, it took me to 48.  I noticed the tunnel vision and difficulty focusing.  I figured I was low, but not that low.  That was the scariest part for me - I should have been sweaty, or shaky, or something.

I carry Smarties for dealing with lows.  They are small, and they keep forever.  I used to love them in my pre-D days, and this gives me a good reason to enjoy them again.  I scarfed three rolls on the spot - about 22g of very nearly pure sucrose.  Took me right into the 120's and things were looking good again.

I was in class, and my test and subsequent treatment were fairly public.  So I had everyone asking me what they could do, where my sugars were, etc.  Everyone meant well, of course, but the thing people don't seem to understand is that when we lose control like that, we just want everyone to pretend it didn't happen, as much as possible.  Nothing to see here, people.  Please get on with your lives. :)

So things went well through lunch and afterwards.  Tonight, we had a party with some friends.  I wound up taking 10 and 8 to cover food, and I thought I was being aggressive.  I tested and...232.  Grr.  Still coming down from that one.  Though I only took 4 to correct from that one - I really don't want to hit 48 overnight.

So my average is going to be way up for the day.  Some days you win, some days you don't.  I have won many more than I've lost so far, but that still doesn't make it feel much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment