Sunday, January 31, 2010

Doing Fine

I've noticed that my posts here have become somewhat less frequent.

Part of it is that I've reached a sort of plateau in my understanding of the condition. My numbers are looking pretty good, and I'm expecting a fantastic A1C when I get it checked on Wednesday. (Naturally, I'll post about that.)

I'm setting into what a lot of people in the DOC have noticed: the daily grind. It doesn't change much, from day to day. Wake up, check blood. Shoot, eat. Check in 2 hours, or thereabouts.

I did do something new last week. Remember in December, when I had a really aberrant week? I had all kinds of crazy numbers, including a 320 that I cannot begin to explain. It was during a training session.

I had another training session last week - only this time, instead of being a student, I was the teacher. Guess what? My numbers were good, and perfectly predictable. No surprises. I'm at a loss to explain that. I love teaching, but it takes a lot of energy, and it can be kind of stressful. That would suggest that I'd see spikes and other strangeness, but not this time.

The difference may be that class was taught in the building where I work, not offsite, so I didn't need to "sneak around" to test and shoot. So yes, there is such a thing as a pleasant surprise.

I will definitely post about my A1C - whether it meets expectations or not.

2 comments:

  1. You could write about the health benefits of active monitoring. Many people like me think of diabetes as causing inevitable, inexorable damage. That may be why some say, "Why bother?"

    Also, you could write about the excellent training at Mercy. We have not seen that level of education at any hospital in 15 or more years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if people have been conditioned to think of diabetes as an inexorable degenerative disease. From what I've read, that's how it was described before the DCCT in the 80's and 90's.

    The Mercy system is remarkable. Those are both good ideas.

    ReplyDelete